Monday, February 17, 2014

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Type: Young Adult Novel
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Yes
Pages:327
Copyright: 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Rating: 2.5 out of 5


Summary: From Good Reads


For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
 

Feelings:
This book took me a while to start enjoying. It was an easy read but I didn't care for the beginning and all of the "I wasn't going to be selected" stuff when there wouldn't be a book if she wasn't selected. Sometimes I really just don't care for knowing more than the narrator does and this book was an example of that. I had seen the book in lots of places so I thought I would give it a try at least two chapters. By then I was starting to like America Singer and the post World War IV America, Illea. The society with an eight tiered caste system was interesting but largely unexplained. I felt like it was alright at first but then after a while I started to wonder why it wasn't getting explained, there aren't any history books, was the explanation given. I would have liked more there.

I did wonder at first if the characters in here would stand up and they are a bit wobbly but I'm willing to look past that when I'm reading young adult romance. I have come to realize that there are many young adult novels that could use a little something more but because they are young adult I forgive them for this where I wouldn't if I wasn't reading young adult. The Selection was not a strong book but the plot and the world were interesting enough to keep me interested. 

Because I wasn't really looking for more than brain candy when I picked the book up to read, cover as evidence, it I admit I was satisfied and will read the next books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment