Monday, April 28, 2014

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Title: Insurgent
Author: Veronica Roth
Type: Young Adult Novel
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Yes
Pages: 525
Copyright: 2012
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Rating: 3.5 out of 5


Summary: from Good Reads

Fighting for survival in a shattered world… the truth is her only hope.

The thrillingly dark sequel to No. 1 New York Times bestseller, DIVERGENT.

I have done bad things. I can’t take them back, and they are part of who I am.

Tris has survived a brutal attack on her former home and family. But she has paid a terrible price. Wracked by grief and guilt, she becomes ever more reckless as she struggles to accept her new future.

Yet if Tris wants to uncover the truth about her world, she must be stronger than ever… because more shocking choices and sacrifices lie ahead.



Feelings:  

This book picks up right were the last one left off. The ending of the first one felt like an ending in someways but at the same time it was a bit of a "what happens next?" I felt like this one started right after the first one finished. I have a feeling that the third book will also pick up almost exactly where the second one ends. I like that about these books. I'm not left wondering what happened between books and trying to fill in the blanks.

I find it a bit hard to say much about this book without giving away what happened in the first book. This book is more political than the first book. Following The Hunger Games model for post-American dystopian young-adult books. I have noticed that after The Hunger Games went big there have been a lot of books that have a similar feel to them. By far I think that The Hunger Games series was probably the best of the ones I have read so far. They are all different in some ways but they do have the first person narration with some kind of post-American world in which things are very different from what they are today but it isn't really explained how we got there nor does the narrator seem to know what it was like before.

I enjoyed reading Insurgent. It is really the characters that drive this story. The reason behind the society and the different groups is finally explained a little more in this book. I appreciate that since it does bother me going along and not knowing why things are the way they are.

I would recommend this book to those that enjoyed the first in the series and to those that enjoy dystopian settings and lots of adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment