Monday, April 21, 2014

The Mapmaker's War by Ronlyn Domingue

Title: The Mapmaker's War

Author: Ronlyn Domingue

Type: a legend (Novel)
Genre: Fantasy

Series: Yes, Keeper of Tales Trilogy #1 next is The Chronicle of Secret Riven

Pages:226
Copyright:2013

Publisher:Atria books

Rating: 4.5 out of 5


Summary: from Good Reads



This will be the map of your heart, old woman. In an ancient time, in a faraway land, a young woman named Aoife is allowed a rare apprenticeship to become her kingdom's mapmaker, tasked with charting the entire domain. Traveling beyond its borders, she finds a secretive people who live in peace, among great wealth. They claim to protect a mythic treasure, one connected to the creation of the world. When Aoife reports their existence to her kingdom, the community is targeted as a threat. Attempting to warn them of imminent danger, Aoife is exiled for treason and finds refuge among the very people who had been declared her enemy. With them, she begins a new life surrounded by kindness, equality, and cooperation. But within herself, Aoife has no peace. She cannot share the grief she feels for the home and children she left behind. She cannot bear the warrior scars of the man she comes to love. And when she gives birth to their gifted daughter, Aoife cannot avoid what the child forces her to confront about her past and its truth. On this most important of journeys, there is no map to guide her. In this tale; her autobiography; Aoife reveals her pain and joy, and ultimately her transformation.

The Mapmaker's War is a mesmerizing, utterly original adventure about love and loss and the redemptive power of the human spirit. Watch for its epic sequel, The Chronicle of Secret Riven, in 2014.


Feelings:
This book felt like one of the most original books I have read in a long time. I was startled to find that it was written in second person, the narrator refers to herself as you, making it seem as though the reader is the main character. I wasn't sure if this was going to work for me or not but in the end I really enjoyed the non-conventional style. The story itself was also different than expected in a good way. I'm not sure it really fits what I consider legend but I can't say I went out and read any legends recently so who am I to say what the writing style for them is. I can tell you that the story, even if it were first person, feels different than your typical story. Dialogue is not in "quotes" but is just on a new line, this does take a bit of adjustment as well, but it does make since.

You called Wyl up to join you. 
The tower is wondrous. I could kiss you, you said.
Yes, you could, said he.
So literal, Wyl.
Then I'll wait until you mean what you say. 
You felt a sting. For the first time a joke on him barbed you back You watched him stare afar and wondered why he went to such lengths to please you. Perhaps there is more to this boy I once knew, you thought. You linked your arm with his and leaned into him, both swaying groundless. (p. 9)
 Aoife is not the typical woman who is what I would consider a typical mid-evil house wife. She is a mapmaker. When she thinks about this as an older woman she knows that she only got where she was because of what was allowed of her by men.
Now, tell the truth. You were not so different from other women. Your life depended on the favor of men. Your freedom was an illusion that you dared to dream. (p. 34)
Having a myth, legend told from the point of view of a woman was refreshing. The new take on legend was also something I liked. This is not a legend of this world but another world. There was not a lot of time spend on world building, but it wasn't needed. We learn of the world as we traveled it with Aoife. The language and descriptions are beautiful and flow from one sentence to the next.

I know this isn't a novel for everyone but the mythical quality and the superb writing make it worth giving a try. If you don't like experimentation and the non-conventional this is not the book for you. I was surprised by how much I liked it. I have to admit that it took me finishing the book before I formed a complete opinion of it. I knew the writing was good and I liked the story, but I wasn't sure if it was going to be a book I would continue to think about after I finished it. There is much to look back on in the novel though and it is worth the read. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment