Monday, April 28, 2014

The Willful Princess and The Piebald Prince by Robin Hobb

Title: The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince
Author: Robin Hobb
Type: Novella
Genre: Fantasy

Series: Farseer prequel

Pages: 184
Copyright: 2013
Publisher: Subterranean Press

Rating: 2.5 out of 5


Summary: from Amazon.
One of the darkest legends in the Realm of the Elderlings recounts the tale of the so-called Piebald Prince, a Witted pretender to the throne unseated by the actions of brave nobles so that the Farseer line could continue untainted. Now the truth behind the story is revealed through the account of Felicity, a low-born companion of the Princess Caution at Buckkeep.

With Felicity by her side, Caution grows into a headstrong Queen-in-Waiting. But when Caution gives birth to a bastard son who shares the piebald markings of his father s horse, Felicity is the one who raises him. And as the prince comes to power, political intrigue sparks dangerous whispers about the Wit that will change the kingdom forever...

Internationally-bestselling, critically-acclaimed author Robin Hobb takes readers deep into the history behind the Farseer series in this exclusive, new novella, 'The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince.' In her trademark style, Hobb offers a revealing exploration of a family secret still reverberating generations later when assassin FitzChivalry Farseer comes onto the scene. Fans will not want to miss these tantalizing new insights into a much-beloved world and its unforgettable characters.


Feelings: 

I enjoyed reading this novella in two connected stories. However, I didn't think this was as strong a book as the others that I have read by Robin Hobb. I think for me it was because the narration was first person from Felicity and I didn't find her to be the most interesting narrator. I know that she was writing in the style she did because she was instructed by her son to write only the truth and no speculation. I have to admit though I was expecting more from this book that was it was.

It wasn't a bad story it just wasn't that interesting to me thus I'm giving it 2.5 stars. I'm not sure I would have stayed with the book if it had been a longer story. At less than 200 pages it was easy to sit down and read. I haven't read the Farseer books which this is supposed to be a prequel to. Maybe if I had read them I would have liked it more. I do intend to read the Farseer books if I can find them at my library.

I would only recommend this book to those that have read and enjoyed other works by Robin Hobb. The title is wonderful isn't it? That alone was enough to get me interested in reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment