Monday, September 1, 2014

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Title: Seraphina

Author: Rachel Hartman

Type: Young Adult Novel
Genre: Fantasy

Series: Yes, Seraphina #1

Pages: 467
Copyright: 2012
Publisher: Random House

Rating: 2.5 out of 5


Summary: from Good Reads

Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.

Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life.

In her exquisitely written fantasy debut, Rachel Hartman creates a rich, complex, and utterly original world. Seraphina's tortuous journey to self-acceptance is one readers will remember long after they've turned the final page.


Feelings:

This book wasn't bad there were just a few things that I didn't buy that made it turn for me. I thought the romance was off, didn't seem to me like the characters actually felt the way the author said they did. The book was also a little slow at times. This is why it is getting a 2.5 rating. I was really looking forward to reading this book and that may be part of why I was a bit picky about the pace and relationships.

I enjoyed the story and liked the dragons that could shape shift into humans that was an interesting addition and I thought a good one. The idea for the story is an interesting one and I thought the conflict between humans and dragons as well as the tension was well done.

Seraphina is a very interesting character and I enjoyed reading her. However, I didn't completely buy that Princess Glisselda would be so close to her new music teacher nor that Seraphina would have such access to the people she had access to in such a short time. The castle seems to be there for Seraphina when she is doing her best to stay hidden.

I don't want to give the wrong impression about this book I did like it I just wasn't impressed. I thought it could have been better. There is a second book in the series and I'm wondering if the story line will be enough to support a second book. I will probably try reading it to find out and see if maybe the character relations become more believable.

No comments:

Post a Comment