Monday, September 29, 2014

The Children of Green Knowe by L. M. Boston

Title: The Children of Green Knowe

Author: L. M. Boston
Illustrator: Peter Boston

Type: Children's Story
Genre: Fiction

Series: Yes

Pages: 157
Copyright: 1954
Publisher: Harcourt, Brace & World, INC.

Rating: 4 out of 5


Summary: from Good Reads
"Tolly" Toseland 7 is rowed up to great-gran Linnet Oldknow by servant Boggis - always been a Boggis. The real "castle" is over 900 years old. Gran tells old family stories, and songs. Everyone can see, hear, and feel the ghosts, evoked by white-on-black illustrations. Toby 14, Alexander, and Linnet 6 linger after Plague, as does cursed topiary Green Noah.


Feelings: 

I really enjoyed this story it is a ghost story while not being scary. A friend, adult, recommend the book and I decided to give it a try. I ended up really enjoying the story and the writing style. It almost feels like a fable to me but the writing is very similar to other children's stories from the time. Writing has changed so much and our current style of writing differs greatly from this.

I loved the opening scene of the story with the train in the rain and that him being driven out in a taxi as far as he could into the flood waters and being meet by a row boat and with a lantern was rowed to the door step of his great-grandmother's house, Green Knowe.

I really appreciated that Tolly felt like a normal little boy and that he doesn't do anything extraordinary but mostly ordinary things but yet it is still a very good story.

This is a fun book and I really enjoyed it I will be checking out the rest of the series. I don't think this book has to be read by children I think adults can enjoy the story too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment