Monday, October 20, 2014

Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride

Title: Gut and Psychology Syndrome

Author: Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride

Type: Non-Fiction
Genre: Health

Series: No

Pages: 392
Copyright: 2012
Publisher: Medinform Publishing

Rating: 3 out of 5


Summary: from Good Reads

Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride set up The Cambridge Nutrition Clinic in 1998. As a parent of a child diagnosed with learning difficulties, she was acutely aware of the difficulties facing other parents like her, and she has devoted much of her time to helping these families. She realised that nutrition played a critical role in helping children and adults to overcome their disabilities, and has pioneered the use of probiotics in this field.

Her willingness to share her knowledge has resulted in her contributing to many publications, as well as presenting at numerous seminars and conferences on the subjects of learning disabilities and digestive disorders. Her book "Gut and Psychology Syndrome" captures her experience and knowledge, incorporating her most recent work.

She believes that the link between learning disabilities, the food and drink that we take, and the condition of our digestive system is absolute, and the results of her work have supported her position on this subject. In her clinic, parents discuss all aspects of their child's condition, confident in the knowledge that they are not only talking to a professional but to a parent who has lived their experience. Her deep understanding of the challenges they face, puts her advice in a class of it's own.


Feelings:

I felt like there was a lot of information in here. I was looking for something to deal with digestive problems. The medical community doesn't know what it is so I don't know either. However, I was sick, really sick for three months, and then spend one month doing a little better on a gluten-free diet before I started working with someone that suggested I try using the GAPS diet.

I read the full book and found that while I don't agree completely with everything that she talks about dealing with autism, dyspraxia, A.D.D., A.D.H.D, schizophrenia, dyslexia, and depression I did think she made some good points. I felt like some areas were very well researched and backed up, I live with a skeptic and he tends to disbelieve everything, and being dyslexic myself I found it hard when she made sweeping generalizations. I think she would have been better served focusing on autism which is really where her research backs her up.

As for the diet I decided that since I was really struggling, I would start with the introduction diet. It became clear quite fast that almost all of the recipes she includes in the book aren't really for the introduction diet but are more for the full GAPS diet. If I need guidance it is in the introduction diet. I felt like this is where the book could have been much stronger. The stages are laid out for you but it doesn't really give you a good feeling of what you might cook. I just wanted a few suggestions to get me started. I had to find this somewhere else. She also lists vegetables you can eat on the different stages of the intro diet and it has etc. That is so so helpful. I need a list not a partial list I want the whole list.

Over all I do think the diet is good for healing a gut or digestive system that is in need of that. I'm doing much better and I haven't even made it through the introduction diet yet. However, there are still some things that haven't gone away yet and I wonder how much time I need to give before I try something different.

I would recommend this book to people struggling with digestive and gut issues that the medical community doesn't understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment