Monday, November 25, 2013

The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas

Title: The Burning Sky

Author: Sherry Thomas

Type: Young Adult Novel
Genre: Fantasy

Series: Yes book one of The Elemental Trilogy

Pages: 464
Copyright: 2013

Publisher: Balzar + Bray

Rating: 3.5out of 5


Summary: from Goodreads

It all began with a ruined elixir and an accidental bolt of lightning…

Iolanthe Seabourne is the greatest elemental mage of her generation—or so she's being told. The one prophesied for years to be the savior of The Realm. It is her duty and destiny to face and defeat the Bane, the greatest mage tyrant the world has ever known. A suicide task for anyone let alone a sixteen-year-old girl with no training, facing a prophecy that foretells a fiery clash to the death.

Prince Titus of Elberon has sworn to protect Iolanthe at all costs but he's also a powerful mage committed to obliterating the Bane to avenge the death of his family—even if he must sacrifice both Iolanthe and himself to achieve his goal.

But Titus makes the terrifying mistake of falling in love with the girl who should have been only a means to an end. Now, with the servants of the Bane closing in, he must choose between his mission and her life.


Feelings: 

I enjoyed the story but it took me at least two chapters to start liking it. I wasn't sure if it was going to stand up or not but it does. The cover of the book is what really caught my eye when I was browsing books. I know that I should always judge books by their cover. That's why I occasionally read books cover blind. However, having a good cover goes a long way towards helping me pick up the book and read.

This is Sherry Thomas' first young adult fantasy novel. She has written romance novels in the past and I had hoped for a little more romance in here than was present. Yes there is young love but it wasn't exactly what I expected from the description of the book. The story is more about the kingdom and how it has fallen and how it might be saved by Iolanthe and Prince Titus. It is their story but it also focuses on the magic side.

The Burning Sky is the first in a trilogy and there is a good chance one will be waiting a while for the next books to come out so let me say a little bit about the ending without spoilers hopefully. The ending didn't have a cliff hanger that leaves you wanting to scream at the author. There were indications of where the next books would be headed but this one has a relatively satisfying end that I think most people could life with until the next book is released.  

No comments:

Post a Comment