Monday, December 10, 2012

Red Glove by Holy Black

Title: Red Gloves
Author: Holly Black
Type: Young Adult Novel
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Yes second in The Curse Workers series
Copyright: 2011
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Rating:  3 out of 5

Summary:
Now fully immersed in the world of "curses and cons, magic and the mob" Cassel Sharpe tried to deal with his mother's actions. His mother an emotional worker has cursed the girl he likes and now he can not see her because he is unwilling to take advantage of her. Cassel and his mother are trying to spend some time together before he returns to school but having been the only non-worker in the family for years Cassel is not over joyed to be coning people for money and tricking people with his mother who thinks there is nothing wrong with it. When Cassel's oldest brother is murdered, both the mob and the Feds turn to Cassel who must stay ahead of both of them while he is finishing high school.

Feelings:
I enjoyed reading this but the ending was a bit different than what I would have expected. It did a good job setting up the next book. I liked that Cassel's friends played a bigger role in this book. I also liked that Lila was included in the story and was becoming more of a character rather than someone the story worked around. I think in the next book she will be playing a larger role. I liked that Cassel plays the mob and the Feds to his advantage while he tries to decided what to do and how best to take advantage of it all. In many ways even though he doesn't think he is like his mother he is. I liked that the characters are dynamic. I did find parts of it a bit dull but overall I really enjoyed the second book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment