Thursday, August 1, 2013

Cover Blind

Do you ever pick up a book off the shelve at the library/bookstore and put it back before you even know what it is about because you really don't like the image on the cover? 

I have done this many times. In my better moments I know that I am judging books by their cover and that it doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't a good book. The same can go the other way, I know I have read a few books because I really liked the cover but in the end hated the book. If I hadn't liked the cover I probably never would have read those books in the first place because the description would have been such to make me less interested. So in attempt to be less judgmental of books based on their cover I will be reading books that have their covers covered over.

  1. I will have someone pick out the books for me, and then cover over the cover with colored paper I can't see through or easily peak at the cover with. 
  2. Then I will read the book or give it a good chance at least 100 pages, maybe more depending on the length. 
  3. Books that are read in such a way will be labeled "Cover Blind" in their review. 
  4. I will not see the cover of these books until after I have written the review, rated the book, and created a rough design of what I think the cover should be. My cover will be included in the post as will the real cover.
  5. You will notice that reviews with the "Cover Blind" tag are much longer than other reviews because they include as section "Cover Blind" where I include the image of my cover design, gulp I may regret this later, and discus why I created the design I did. It will as include a "Cover Rating" where I rate the actual cover of the book and discus the cover. I may include other cover images if there are different covers for different editions.

I will be dedicating the four posts in November to books that I have read cover blind. I may expand and do more than four posts but I am going to start with four books as it may take me a while to get through them.

No comments:

Post a Comment