Monday, April 20, 2015

Review: Frostfire by Amanda Hocking

Frostfire by Amanda Hocking cover art
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy 
Series: Yes book #1 in The Kanin Chronicles 
Pages: 321 
Copyright: 2014 
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin 
Buy: Amazon

Summary: from good reads
Bryn Aven is an outcast among the Kanin, the most powerful of the troll tribes.

Set apart by her heritage and her past, Bryn is a tracker who's determined to become a respected part of her world. She has just one goal: become a member of the elite King’s Guard to protect the royal family. She's not going to let anything stand in her way, not even a forbidden romance with her boss Ridley Dresden.

But all her plans for the future are put on hold when Konstantin– a fallen hero she once loved – begins kidnapping changelings. Bryn is sent in to help stop him, but will she lose her heart in the process?


Feelings: 

Frostfire took a little while for me to start enjoying. Bryn is an interesting character and I was a bit confused by the troll and non-human element of the story. After an explanation, it made a lot more sense to me. I have been surprised that recently a lot of the books I have been reading have characters that are part siren and have gills so they can breath either under water or above water.

Bryn is determined that she is going to become a guard at the castle, and her job is her life. She has a past that has enforced her need to be alone and not lean on other people. I found the back-story engaging, and it added to the current story nicely.

I am looking forward to reading the next in the series when it comes out. I have one hope for he series, and that is that we don't end up with a love triangle which I could see happening. Why young adult seems to lean towards the love triangle. I don't know but I really hope this story doesn't do that.


Frostfire was an enjoyable read for me, and I recommend it to those who enjoy young adult fantasy with a first person narrative.

3 Birdd

No comments:

Post a Comment