Monday, March 14, 2016

Review: Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Narrators: Susan Lyons, Anna Bentink, Steven Crossley, Alex Tregear, Andrew Wincott, and Owen Lindsy
Genre: Fiction
Series: Me Before You #1
Copyright: 2013
Publisher: Penguin Audio
Rating: 4 out of 5
Buy: Amazon

Summary: from Good Reads
Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.


Feelings:

A few years ago, I saw this book was one of the books selected for the best fiction on the Good Reads Readers Choice Awards. At the time, I thought it looked interesting and put it on my list of books to read. Now, a few years later, I've listened to it. There were multiple points of view in the novel, and each point of view had its own narrator. I liked this but could see how the different voices could be confusing when you were used to the voice created by another narrator for the same character.

The story was touching, but not to sad. I wanted to listen to this audiobook even when I wasn't in my car. This was not always a good thing, but it tells you how much I enjoyed the story.

Will, a quadrapaligic, needs a caregiver, according to his mother, to help with his moral and Lou takes the job. At first she feels that it is rather pointless for her to be there and then she and Will begin talking.

I was pleasantly surprised by this novel. It wasn't your typical romance but there was romance in a sweet gentle way. I recommend either the audiobook or the novel to those that enjoy fiction set in the present time.

They have recently turned the book into a movie, which I have not seen yet. The trailer makes it look interesting but I'm not sure if it would be as good as the book. If you have seen the movie, let me know what you think. I'm not sure if I should go.

No comments:

Post a Comment