Monday, September 12, 2016

Review: The Heir by Kiera Cass

The Heir by Kiera Cass cover art
Genre: Dystopian Young Adult
Series: Yes, The Selection #4
Pages: 342
Copyright: 2015
Publisher: HarperTeen
Buy: Amazon

Summary: from Good Reads

Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.

Feelings: 

I thought the selection series ended with The One, but then I saw The Heir. First I wasn't going to read it because the end of the America Maxom story felt a little stretched to me, and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the first book. I kept seeing this book pop up, so I decided to give it a chance. It was enjoyable, but it isn't going to be one of my favorite books. The beginning felt a little forced and childish. I didn't like Eadlyn, the first person narrator. The first few chapters weren't my favorite and that made it difficult to enjoy the story. I started enjoying the story more when it got more romantic. Princess Eadlyn is a bit of a bitch. 
"Seven minutes. It should have been you. I'd much rather sit alone and scribble away instead of all that stupid paperwork. And this ridiculous Selection nonsense! Can't you see how dreadful this is?" p. 21
I think this a pretty good example of the kind of narrator Eadlyn is. Not my favorite. However, she does improve. Her interactions with the boys when they first arrive is amusing, and it shows that she does have a gentler side when she interacts with Henri.

The story feels like a repeat of the first novels, but with a new political problem. One that came about from the dissolving of the cast system. I'll be interested to see where that aspect of the story goes. As for the Selection from 35 boys for her husband, Princess Evelyn may not have it figured out, but I'm pretty sure I do. At least I have it narrowed down to three and I think I know who she will end up with.

This novel wasn't anything new, but I enjoyed spending a little more time with Maxon, America, and with the characters from the first three novels. Even though I think I know how this will end, I am curious if I will be surprised. I'm going to be continuing to the end. This has had a nice cliffhanger ending and I want to little closure.

3 birds

No comments:

Post a Comment