Monday, November 7, 2016

Review: The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead

The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead cover art
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Series: The Glittering Court #1
Pages: 400
Copyright: 2016 
Publisher: Razorbill
Buy: Amazon

Summary: from Goodreads
Big and sweeping, spanning from the refined palaces of Osfrid to the gold dust and untamed forests of Adoria, The Glittering Court tells the story of Adelaide, an Osfridian countess who poses as her servant to escape an arranged marriage and start a new life in Adoria, the New World. But to do that, she must join the Glittering Court.

Both a school and a business venture, the Glittering Court is designed to transform impoverished girls into upper-class ladies who appear destined for powerful and wealthy marriages in the New World. Adelaide naturally excels in her training, and even makes a few friends: the fiery former laundress Tamsin and the beautiful Sirminican refugee Mira. She manages to keep her true identity hidden from all but one: the intriguing Cedric Thorn, son of the wealthy proprietor of the Glittering Court.

When Adelaide discovers that Cedric is hiding a dangerous secret of his own, together they hatch a scheme to make the best of Adelaide’s deception. Complications soon arise—first as they cross the treacherous seas from Osfrid to Adoria, and then when Adelaide catches the attention of a powerful governor.

But no complication will prove quite as daunting as the potent attraction simmering between Adelaide and Cedric. An attraction that, if acted on, would scandalize the Glittering Court and make them both outcasts in wild, vastly uncharted lands…

Feelings:
I enjoyed The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead more than I thought I would. My expectations were lowered a little when I realized the author had written the Vampire Academy series. While I liked The Glittering Court I would not have picked it up and read it if I had realized it was the same author that wrote Vampire Academy. This book was not a vampire book though, and I'm glad I read it.

I really enjoyed Adelaide, Cedric, Tamsin, and Mira. Adeaide was the first person narrator, and we know all of her secrets but we don't know the secrets of the other girls at the school Tamsin and Mira. We know they have reasons they joined the Glittering Court and are willing to make a dangerous trip to a dangerous new world. However, I didn't need to know their secrets. Knowing Adelaide and Cedric was enough for me. They had big secrets.

This was a little like a fantasy period drama and I liked the descriptions of the clothing and the difference between the two cultures. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have lived in a time where society was based on your history and your wealth. I imagine it would have felt limiting. The characters in this novel seemed to feel limited by and that was why they were willing to travel to a new world because they hoped it would provide a little freedom.

I recommend this book to anyone that enjoys historical fiction based in Victorian times. Yes, this is fantasy, but it has the same feel as many historical novels. This book stood by itself. It is part of a series but the next book in the series is from Mira's perspective and covers the same time as this book. I think I will probably end up reading it, but I don't feel like I'm missing something if I don't read it.

3 birds

No comments:

Post a Comment