Monday, December 9, 2013

Pegasus by Robin McKinley

Title: Pegasus

Author: Robin McKinley

Type: Young Adult Novel
Genre: Fantasy

Series: Yes but no sign of other books yet.

Pages: 404
Copyright: 2010
Publisher: G. P. Putnam's Sons

Rating: 4 out of 5

Summary: from Goodreads
On her twelfth birthday, Princess Sylviianel is ceremonially bound to her own Pegasus, Ebon. For a thousand years humans and pegasi have lived in peace, relying on human magicians and pegasi shamans to converse. But close friends Sylvi and Ebon can talk. As their bond strengthens, can their friendship threaten to destroy the peace between their nations?

Feelings:
I really enjoyed this book. At first I was a little wary of the name and the subject but I was in one of my I’m in a hurry grab a few books (five) at the library. Of the five books this was the only book I did not know the author. The subject seemed like it might be hit or miss but as I said I was in a hurry so I didn’t spend as much time as I might have trying to talk myself out of checking it out. I’m glad I did check in out. The subject the relationship between pegasi and humans and why they are unable to speak to each other yet are able to maintain a friendly demeanor intrigued me.

Princess Sylviianel is 12 years old when the books opens. At the age of 12 royal humans are bond to a Pegasus. When they first meet at the binding Sylvi and her Pegasus, Ebon, can speak to each other in the same way that the pegasi conserves in their minds. The realization leads to a slip during the ceremony that alerts the others that they do not have the usual relationship of other humans and pegasi needing a speaker to translate between them.

From her unfolds a story of friendship between Sylvi and Ebon. There are those that hope that the relationship they have will strengthen the relationship and treaty between the pegasi and humans and those that think that they are strange and should be kept apart.
The story was beautifully written. I really liked parallels of human admiration of the pegasi and the pegasi of the humans. Robin McKinley is an author I will look for again.

I would recommend this book to young adults, female, and adults that enjoy a fresh story and beautiful descriptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment