Monday, January 19, 2015

I Speak English by Ruth Johnson Colvin

Title: I Speak English: A Guide to Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages--Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing
Author: Ruth Johnson Colvin
Type: Teaching Aid
Genre: Nonfiction
Series: No
Pages: 224
Copyright: 1997
Publisher: Literacy Volunteers of Amer; 4th edition
Rating: 3 out of 5


Summary:
This book is a guide for those learning to teach English for the first time. It goes through the steps of what you need to know, such as cultural differences, planning a lesson, and having activities included in the lesson to help the learner recall what they learn in the future.

Feelings: 

I read this book for an English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) class I took for my current job.

The book had a lot of examples of how someone could teach English at different levels.

depending on the goals or level of the student and both will be more or less helpful for you. With a higher level student it will be harder to use this book.

As a starting place for learning about teaching ESOL students it has a lot of good information. However I felt like there was a lot that I still didn't know and it is really only a starting place. Based on the first meeting with the student I have to say that this book didn't give me the tools for higher level student. I think it was a better starting place for beginner students are intermediate students who speaks very little English. 

A good place to start but more information in teaching is required. This book will not get you to teaching somebody how to speak English without some other instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment