Monday, January 26, 2015

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Title: The Maze Runner
Author: James Dashner
Type: Young Adult Novel
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Yes, first.
Pages: 374
Copyright: 2009
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Rating: 3.5 out of 5


Summary: from good reads.
If you ain’t scared, you ain’t human.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone.

Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive.

Everything is going to change.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.

Remember. Survive. Run.


Feelings: 

I decided to read this book largely because of the movie, which I haven't seen yet. The trailer for the movie looked interesting to me. After reading the book I would like to see the movie. The book had a lot of interesting visuals and and like to see what the filmmakers did with them.

I enjoyed the book after reading it I realize that it is one of the few young adult novels that I've read that had a Male protagonist. Mostly I read novels with female protagonists. I still enjoyed this novel. Maybe more because of that. It was different than my normal read.

Thomas seemed clueless but also at the same time seem to know what was happening to him to see how didn't vantage of of the other characters in this novel. His advantage made him more interesting character but at the same time I think it took something away from learning to live in the Glade. I thought it was interesting that we have the introduction of a female character and it doesn't turn things upside down more. I felt like Thomas stirred things up more than she did. Yes there was some tension over her arrival but it didn't seem to be as much of a problem as Thomas wanting to be a Runner. 

Over all I thought the book was good and I am interested to see what the next book will bring. I'm not sure if it will stand up and be as good as this book. I recommend this book. It could almost stand on its own without the last chapter which leaves things open for a second book. 

Note: I watched the movie and was very disappointed. It took out parts of the book that seemed vital to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment