Monday, June 6, 2016

Rewivew: The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau

The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau
Genre: Dystopian Fantasy 
Series: Yes. Book of Ember #1 
Pages: 270 
Copyright: 2004  
Publisher: Yearling 
Buy: Amazon

Summary: from Good Reads
Many hundreds of years ago, the city of Ember was created by the Builders to contain everything needed for human survival. It worked…but now the storerooms are almost out of food, crops are blighted, corruption is spreading through the city and worst of all—the lights are failing. Soon Ember could be engulfed by darkness…

But when two children, Lina and Doon, discover fragments of an ancient parchment, they begin to wonder if there could be a way out of Ember. Can they decipher the words from long ago and find a new future for everyone? Will the people of Ember listen to them?


Feelings: 

I enjoyed The City of Ember. It seemed familiar to me when I first saw it, and I couldn't place why until I looked it up and saw that there was a movie. I don't remember seeing the movie or the trailer, but I must have heard the name then.

This book reminded me of other dystopian books that have been popular recently. I think that maybe Lina and Doon were a little mature for 12 year-olds, but I was willing to let that go as I thought maybe in a society like this people would grow up faster.

I plan on reading the next book in the series, but I'm not sure if I will make it through all of the books. I enjoyed what I've read so far. The ending of the first book was satisfying, and I'm not feeling like I need to read the second one immediately.

3 Birds

No comments:

Post a Comment