Monday, July 25, 2016

Review: The People of Sparks by Jeanne DuPrau

Genre: Dystopian Fantasy 
Series: Book of Ember #2 
Pages: 338 
Copyright: 2004 
Publisher: Random House 
Buy: Amazon

Summary: from Good Reads
“It is green here and very big. Light comes from the sky…”

When Lina and Doon lead their people up from the underground city of Ember, they discover a surface world of color and life. The people of a small village called Sparks agree to help the Emberites, but the villagers have never had to share their world before. Soon differences between the two groups escalate, and it's up to Lina and Doon to find a way to avoid war!

In the riveting sequel to the highly acclaimed The City of Ember, Jeanne DuPrau explores the nature of conflict and the strength and courage necessary to overcome it.


Feelings: 

I really enjoyed this second book in the series. I was actually pretty happy with the ending of the first book, but this was a satisfying read to follow the first. This one also has an ending that doesn't leave you hanging. I really appreciate that. Many books I read do leave you hanging.

After they leave the city of Ember, things are very interesting for Lina and Doon. I liked that they tried so hard to get the people out of Ember, and that in the town of Spark they become more children but still struggle to make sure their people are taken care of. I think getting to know the people of Sparks better also made this an interesting story. 

I will continue to read the series, but I don't feel like I need to immediately pick up the next book.



No comments:

Post a Comment