Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Review: All the Birds in the Sky

All the Birds in the Sky All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was an interesting novel in that it melded fantasy and science fiction. Most novels pick one and stay firmly in that genre. I liked that this brought them together. The world is similar to the current world but there is magic. Natural magic that is in the service of nature, and then there is science that is far advance from our own. The planet has been damaged by humans and two forces, science and magic, are looking for a solution to this problem. Their approaches are different though and that leads to conflict between the groups.
Patricia and Laurence start out as rejects at their school. This brings them together until an assassin who saw the future appears and begins pushing them apart. The novel is divided into four books. The books give us time to know the history of the two characters and I think that really made the story engaging. Also, both characters were enjoyable at young and older ages.
I have been reading darker fiction recently and this was a lighter read. It wasn't all light but the negative was limited in scope. When I finished this novel I didn't despair for the human race.
I recommend this book. It was an easy read and the story was enjoyable from start to finish.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment