Thursday, October 25, 2018

Review: Selected Poems

Selected Poems Selected Poems by Emily Dickinson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This Collection of poems was short and for me that was a good thing. I had a hard time accessing the poetry. They sound nice read aloud, but the meaning often took some digging to get to. While that isn't a bad thing it isn't what I look for in a collection of poetry. I want to be able to enjoy the sound and meaning of each poem without having to stop and dissect each line.
I wasn't really familiar with Emily Dickinson's writing prior to reading this collection. I had read one or two poems in high school and college writing classes, but she wasn't an author I sought out. Having read this collection, I think I can say that she is not the poet for me. That doesn't mean she wouldn't be great for someone else. However, out of the whole collection there is only one poem that I really felt a connection to. Normally there are a few in each collection that I connect with. Because of that I'm not recommending this collection. Unless you are looking for a very short introduction to Emily Dickinson I would suggest you choose a different poetry collection.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment