Monday, October 19, 2015

Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie

Title: Ancillary Mercy 
Author: Ann Leckie 
Type: Novel 
Genre: Science Fiction 
Series: Imperial Radch #3 
Pages: 330 
Copyright:  2015 
Publisher: Orbit 
Rating: 5 out of 5


Summary: from Good Reads
The stunning conclusion to the trilogy that began with the Hugo, Nebula, and Arthur C. Clarke award-winning Ancillary Justice.For a moment, things seem to be under control for the soldier known as Breq. Then a search of Atheok Station's slums turns up someone who shouldn't exist - someone who might be an ancillary from a ship that's been hiding beyond the empire's reach for three thousand years. Meanwhile, a messenger from the alien and mysterious Presger empire arrives, as does Breq's enemy, the divided and quite possibly insane Anaander Mianaai - ruler of an empire at war with itself.

Anaander is heavily armed and extremely unhappy with Breq. She could take her ship and crew and flee, but that would leave everyone at Athoek in terrible danger. Breq has a desperate plan. The odds aren't good, but that's never stopped her before.


Feelings:
This book was everything I hoped. Breq was an amazing character. I am sad that the series is now complete. While the world Leckie created is not always kind or beautiful, it is well build and expansive. I wasn't sure how I would feel about this book since the other two were such strong books. I had a hard time believing that it would be possible to complete the series in one book, as well. However, Ancillary Mercy was able to just as engaging as Ancillary Justice and Ancillary Sword. This book did have a bit of a different feel. Ancillary Justice had lots of flash backs to the Justice of Toren that the next in the series didn't have. Ancillary Sword was more developed Breq as an ancillary without a ship. Ancillary Mercy shows the transformation and growth of Breq as AI and as an individual.

Ancillary Mercy had me laughing and cheering for the characters. I don't feel like there is much I can say about the book without giving away the enjoyment of discovery. By all means I suggest you get out there and discover the world of the Radch. If you enjoyed the first two in the series, you should pick this one up. My only regret is that there will not be more books telling Breq's story. This is probably my favorite series of books, it might be one of very few books that I will reread down the road.

While I highly recommend this book and series, you should go out and get it right now, I also know that the series is just edgy enough that it will not be for everyone. I am so glad this series is getting the credit it deserves. So when I recommend this book to you, please know that it may not be for you and that is alright. However, give it a chance you may discover a new favorite.  

No comments:

Post a Comment