Monday, November 16, 2015

Watership Down by Richard Adams

Title: Watership Down
Author: Richard Adams
Type: Young Adult Novel  
Genre: Adventure Fiction
Series: No
Pages: 476
Copyright: 2005 (introduction) 1972 (first)
Publisher: Scribner
Rating: 3 out of 5


Summary: from goodreads
Set in England's Downs, a once idyllic rural landscape, this stirring tale of adventure, courage and survival follows a band of very special creatures on their flight from the intrusion of man and the certain destruction of their home. Led by a stouthearted pair of friends, they journey forth from their native Sandleford Warren through the harrowing trials posed by predators and adversaries, to a mysterious promised land and a more perfect society.

Feelings:

This is a book that is hard not to hear about. At the time it was published there wasn't really anything else like it. That being said, I did not like this as much as I thought I would. It was an interesting story and while I was reading it I enjoyed following Hazel and Fiver on their journey. However, if I took a break between chapters and put it down picking it back up was not something I felt I needed to do.

Watership Down was a good book but it was at times dry and after hearing about it since I was a teenager it did not hold up. I don't think even if I had read it as a teenager it would have been something I really enjoyed. 

While the book is about rabbits, the characters are very human in their actions and thoughts. It would be difficult to write from an animal perspective without humanizing them in some ways, however, when I was reading the story I didn't always picture the characters as rabbits which is what they were. 

I think the book was good it just didn't stand up to my expectations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment