Monday, August 10, 2015

Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie

Title: Ancillary Sword 
Author: Ann Leckie 
Type: Novel  
Genre: Science Fiction 
Series: Yes, Imperial Radch #2 
Pages: 391 
Copyright: 2014 
Publisher: Orbit 
Rating: 4.5 out of 5


Summary: from Goodreads
What if you once had thousands of bodies and near god-like technology at your disposal?
And what if all of it were ripped away?

The Lord of the Radch has given Breq command of the ship Mercy of Kalr and sent her to the only place she would have agreed to go -- to Athoek Station, where Lieutenant Awn's sister works in Horticulture.

Athoek was annexed some six hundred years ago, and by now everyone is fully civilized -- or should be. But everything is not as tranquil as it appears. Old divisions are still troublesome, Athoek Station's AI is unhappy with the situation, and it looks like the alien Presger might have taken an interest in what's going on. With no guarantees that interest is benevolent.


Feelings: 

This book was just as good as the first book. I was worried that maybe the story wouldn't bee as strong. I should not have worried. Breq is still a character I like spending time with. Again I had difficulty adjusting to reading book in which gender is not something we can get from the use of pronouns. I actually like that there is only one pronoun for both genders. However, I did find myself guess about the gender of the characters frequently. I thought I know about Breq's gender but I'm not sure anymore and I don't think it really matters.

This story takes place after the Lord of Radch has gone to war with herself. Breq is sent to protect a station and the surrounding planets. The previous novel switched back and forth between the present time and the past.  This book is all in the present.

I'm really looking forward to the next book coming out in October of this year. I highly recommend this book and series to anyone who enjoys science fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment