Monday, August 17, 2015

The Finisher by David Baldacci

Title: The Finisher 
Author: David Baldacci 
Type: Young Adult Novel 
Genre: Fantasy 
Series: Yes, Vega Jane #1 
Pages: 497 
Copyright: 2014 
Publisher: Scholastic Press 
Rating: 3 out of 5


Summary: from Good Reads
The #1 New York Times bestselling fantasy novel for all ages by master storyteller David Baldacci -- now in paperback!

SHE WILL NOT BREAK

Vega Jane was always told no one could leave the town of Wormwood. She was told there was nothing outside but a forest filled with danger and death. And she always believed it -- until the night she saw Quentin Herms run away.

Vega knows Quentin didn't just leave -- he was chased. And he left behind a trail of clues that point to a dark conspiracy at the heart of Wormwood. To follow the clues will attract the attention of influential people willing to kill to keep their secrets. If Vega wants to stay safe, she just needs to keep her head down and her mouth shut. There's only one problem -- Vega Jane never walks away from a fight.

Master storyteller David Baldacci introduces an unforgettable heroine who must think fast, hit hard, and defy all odds to uncover the truth.


Feelings: 

I did not have high expectations for this book. I read it because I was given tickets to see the author by the organization I served at as an AmeriCorps member. I thought if I was going to see a speech by David Baldacci, I should at least read one of his books. I enjoy young adult and I'm much more lenient with mistakes made in young adult than in adult fiction. I, also, prefer fantasy over mystery political thriller genre novels.

This novel surprised me. I wasn't impressed by the writing but the story was interesting. Vega Jane was a character I enjoyed spending time with even when she did things that seemed rather silly to me, which she did frequently. Maybe it was the dog Harry Two that really brought me around to liking the story. Harry Two is loyal from the moment we meet him and him being with Vega Jane showed a side of people that we didn't see except with the dog.

I recommend this book if you find yourself in a position of wanting to read a Baldacci book but not wanting to pick up one of his adult books. I will likely read the next in the series which I didn't expect to want to do.

If you are interested in attending the event for the Literacy Council of Buncombe County and seeing David Baldacci's speech and attend a book signing afterwards you can find out information about tickets on their website: http://www.litcouncil.com/authors2015.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment