Monday, August 24, 2015

The Kindness Diaries by Leon Logothetis

Title: The Kindness Diaries: One Man's Quest to Ignite Goodwill and Transform Lives Around The World
Author: Leon Legothetis
Type: Non-Fiction
Genre: Travel Memoir
Series: No
Pages: 288
Copyright: 2014
Publisher: Readers Digest
Rating: 3 out of 5

Summary: from Goodreads
The incredible journey of one man who sets out to circumnavigate the globe on a vintage motorbike fueled by kindness.

Follow the inspirational journey of a former stockbroker who leaves his unfulfilling desk job in search of a meaningful life. He sets out from Los Angeles on a vintage motorbike, determined to circumnavigate the globe surviving only on the kindness of strangers. Incredibly, he makes his way across the U.S., through Europe, India, Cambodia, and Vietnam, and finally to Canada and back to the Hollywood sign, by asking strangers for shelter, food, and gas. Again and again, he’s won over by the generosity of humanity, from the homeless man who shares his blanket to the poor farmer who helps him with his broken down bike, and the HIV-positive mother who takes him in and feeds him. At each stop, he finds a way to give back to these unsuspecting Good Samaritans in life-changing ways, by rebuilding their homes, paying for their schooling, and leaving behind gifts big and small. The Kindness Diaries will introduce you to a world of adventure, renew your faith in the bonds that connect people, and inspire you to accept and generate kindness in your own life
.

Feelings:

This book wasn't exactly what I expected. I thought it looked interesting from the summary I read. However, I found out he took a camera crew with him to document his trip. I think the idea of traveling on the kindness of others is a very interesting one. Taking a camera crew with him felt a little like he was cheating. I know he said he only brought the crew in at certain times but I still felt like their very existence would have influenced those he meet on his trip and changed the way he acted. I'm not say that what he didn't wasn't admirable and the gifts he gave back didn't make a huge difference but I wonder how different his experience would have been if he hadn't had the camera crew with him.

There are many lessons that can be learned from this book although I think maybe one of the most important ones is that adventure doesn't mean leaving home. And helping others doesn't mean going to the third world.

I enjoyed reading the book. I was again reminded of a book I have wanted to read. Shantarama by Gregory David Roberts. I first saw the book when I was on a flight to Thailand and the guy next to me was reading it. I admit I read a little over his shoulder and found it intriguing. The book was quoted in here and it peaks my interest again. The quote, "It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and choices we make . . . freedom is a universe of possibility", fit well with the story. It is also very close to what Leon learns. 

I recommend the book. However, I do feel like it didn't give the entire picture of his trip because it left out the camera crew. I know he felt like it was best to leave the out in the telling but they were there and it is strange to have them be entirely absent from the story when they played a part in it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment