Saturday, March 3, 2018

Review: The Bear and the Nightingale

The Bear and the Nightingale The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book was not what I was expecting but in a good way. It is historical fantasy but in a form I have not come across before. This was a world I almost believed could have been real. The Russian fairytale elements blend seamlessly into the story and it is easy to become a part of the world.

Vasya, our main character, is not even born when the story so we get to see her grow into a young woman of intrigue and danger. The village does not understand her, and therefore they fear her. She is able to hide her strangeness to some extent, and her brother protects her as best he can. However, her abilities to ride bareback and see the spirits make her seem like a witch to the village that is drawn in by Christianity and forgetting the old beliefs. That is something I really loved about this story how it blends everything together: fairytale, history, and every day life.

This is one of those books I don't want to tell you anything about because I think you should read it and discover all the wonders it holds for yourself.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment