Saturday, May 19, 2018

Review: Every Heart a Doorway

Every Heart a Doorway Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have been seeing this book around for a while now. It never seemed like the type of book I wanted to read. I am so glad I did pick it up and read it. I think from the series name, Wayward Children, I had thought this might be a young adult novel. It is not. Therefore, very early on in the story I was a little surprised by Sumi who is our narrator, Nancy's roommate. (view spoiler)

This story is darker than I would have expected. While it is short I never felt like it was rushed. At 30 or 40% into the book I was still getting used to the characters and the ideas of travel to a world that is unique to you. Logic and Nonsence and Virtue and Wickedness as compass points were an interesting idea. I'm not sure I fully understand the different worlds, but I didn't need to.

There is so much in this novella (less than 200 pages) that I'm amazed it was so short. It was fantasy, mystery, and so so much more. I highly recommend this novel. (view spoiler)This is a dark gem just waiting to be discovered. I can't wait to read more in this world and by the author.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment