Sunday, May 27, 2018

Review: Flashes of War

Flashes of War Flashes of War by Katey Schultz
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Let me start by say that I know the author. I don't think that effects my opinion of the book, but I want to be upfront about that.

This is a collection of stories, and they range from very short to about 10 pages. This is shorter than most short stories I've read it the past. I wasn't sure if this would be something I would like, but it turned out that it works for the subject. What I liked most about these stories is how they feel so everyday. My Son Wanted a Notebook is likely my favorite story in the collection, and it feels so simple and everyday. While nothing that happens in the stories is my everyday for the characters it feels like it is the normal. Most stories and novels I've read make it seem abnormal. I really liked how this collection as a whole delt with being a soldier, Afghani, former soldier, and partner of a soldier. I think these stories show a human side of something that we see in news reports. I liked having the thoughts and feelings on the page.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment