Friday, May 25, 2018

Review: Lilac Girls

Lilac Girls Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book had a very slow start for me. It was divided into three parts and it wasn't until part II that the story really started to hold my attention. I admit that at first I thought this would be a book I just didn't care for. However, it really was very good. The ending really made the story for me. If you choose to pick this up I would really recommend the audiobook. The narrators do an excellent job.

We have three main characters who cross paths at different points during the story. Caroline, in New York, who is privileged in many ways. She was a difficult character for me. She came across as a bit haughty in the story, but she was also very caring. Then we have Kasia, a Polish teenager. She was the most likable character, and also had the most development through out the story. Last is Herta a doctor in Germany. Set during WWII one knows that these women are going to struggle to survive. They each do so in a different way. I liked seeing the different perspectives on the war. This novel shows a different side of WWII than most of the novels I've read in the past. I would say it is one worth reading if you enjoy historical fiction.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment