Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Review: Merrow

Merrow Merrow by Ananda Braxton-Smith
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Small and full of lore this book tells a darker story of finding the truth that fits. The story is set on an island that is isolated and as only isolated places can be full of stories to explain odd happenings.

Neen is 12 years old and our narrator. As she is coming of age she struggles with her mother's disappearance and her own skin condition. Her Aunt has separated them from the town and they live a relatively isolated life. This was a slow story and darker than I would have expected from a child narrator. I enjoyed that the story did not take the mythical mermaid story and turn it into more than a story.

The sea in this story is almost a character in and of itself and the setting was magical while still being very real. I am glad I pick this book up to read, but I'm not sure I'll be reading more by the author. It is different from what I normally enjoy and while good it was a little dark for my current taste.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment