Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Review: At the Edge of the Orchard

At the Edge of the Orchard At the Edge of the Orchard by Tracy Chevalier
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is not a light read. The book is depressing in its portrayal of relationships and people in general.

I enjoyed the second half of this novel more than the first. I wasn't sure I was going to finish it at first. Then it started growing on me. I did not care for Sadie or James Goodenough. They were both mean and vindictive. I preferred their son Robert, so when the narrative switched to his perspective I found the story more engaging.

I enjoyed this book more than the last novel by Chevalier. It still wasn't as good as The Virgin Blue or Girl with a Pearl Earring. Her more recent books felt formulaic to me. This one move away from formula a little which is why I liked it more.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment