Sunday, February 5, 2017

Review: Rebel of the Sands

Rebel of the Sands Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book started a little slow. I should clarify that, and say it was really the first chapter that was slow. I was not drawn into the story immediately. It took a while to grow on me. At first if felt a bit like a Western with an odd religious (maybe Middle Eastern) vibe. Once I started seeing more of the fantasy and getting to know the characters a little more i was able to enjoy it.

The characters were strong and they developed and grew during the story. Amani starts the story as a smart talking gunslinger. Are there any gunslingers that are start talking? As she learns about the world outside of Dustwalk, she becomes stronger. Jin who saves her from Dustwalk doesn't develop quite as much as a character but he does grow.

What I appreciated most about this book was that it surprised me. There was a reveal that I did not see coming. I can't say anything more without spoilers, but I suggest reading because it isn't often a book surprises me.

The story had magic, mythical, creatures, and an interesting history. The characters were vibrant and the romantic tension between our main characters was just right.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment