Friday, February 24, 2017

Review: Salt to the Sea

Salt to the Sea Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

With any historical fictions novel you go in knowing what will happen. Although this was a maritime tragedy I knew nothing about going into this book. I enjoyed this book, but I wasn't connected to the characters enough to care about the ending. I'm glad I read the novel, because I learned a little more about WWII of which I was previously unaware.

We have four different narrators, and the only one I had any strong feelings about was Alfred. I didn't like him at all. Joana, Florian, and Emilia were likable but they didn't have a pull that would have made me feel strongly one way or another about what happened to them. Don't get me wrong, I liked the novel. I just thought it could have been better.

Given the setting this could have been a real tear jerker, but it wasn't. I was surprised. I wanted to care enough about the characters to cry but I didn't. This book has it's place and it is well written. I just thought it would have been better if the characters were a little more relatable.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment